Library Talks

I have been traveling around Minnesota giving talks at libraries. Fun to do, but this year have been much hindered by WEATHER! January, February, and March talks had to be cancelled. Yesterday I drove to Montgomery, Minnesota through windstorm, rainstorm and near tornado conditions. Many people didn’t make it to the library although those who traveled as far as an hour away did come. We had a great discussion about writing cookbooks, my Finnish Cookbook (now in its 38th printing) – first published in 1964!

Drove home to Duluth and arrived at 1:00 A.M. and was blocked by a tree that fell across our half-mile driveway!

Now that we’ve gotten the hackers taken care of I will post more often.
Thanks for being loyal friends!

Facebook Comments

15 thoughts on “Library Talks

• June 5, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Bea, I just bought the Best Casserole cookbook, and was looking at the recipe for raisin and walnut bread, and I can’t find any reference to walnuts in the recipe other than in the name… Please clue me in! Thanks!

• June 24, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Thank you for your note. On page 80 is the recipe you refer to (Golden Raisin and Walnut Casserole Bread) – but the next recipe, on page 81 (Whole Wheat Raisin Casserole Bread) is the one that includes the walnuts. You would be perfectly safe in adding 1 cup walnuts to that Golden Raisin bread.
      Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for pointing it out. Between editing and checking all these recipes, I’d have thought we’d have caught this. Thanks!

• September 27, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Sorry! that was an “oops”…..The bread is excellent without walnuts, but if you wish to add them, 1 cup chopped walnuts will be just fine!
      Funny, how we can go through so many readings and editors and still something is wrong.
      Thank you for your attention!
      Beatrice Ojakangas

• July 25, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Hi Beatrice. I watched you on PBS recently. You were making pastry and pastry cream. I really enjoyed it. I watch a lot of cooking shows and yours was very interesting. I am a housewife and usually just cook for my four year old son and husband. I admire those who have the knowledge and experience to create with their hands instead of always turning to processed food for convenience. I think it also shows love for those you cook/bake for. Everyday I learn something new with food and everyday I get a little better. Ive never made a braid before and today I wanted to try to do one with cream and blueberries(just because its ingredients I have available). Do you have any tips? When will you be around central IL?

• August 28, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Hi Ashley,
      I just figured out how to reply to you (sorry I am so un-techie) AS I mentioned, I live in northern Minnesota and only get to Chicago once in awhile to visit our daughter who lives there.
      I am working on a PBS series for the local station and they hope to sell the series to Create. That will happen some time in the next year.
      Thanks for your note!
      Beatrice

• October 6, 2014 at 4:28 pm

I just received your book, “The Soup &Bread Cookbook”, as a gift, and made the ciabatta bread on page 12. I used your idea for a steam oven using river rock in a pan on the oven floor, but I also used the convection option on my oven. The bread did not turn out crusty at all. Could it be the convection that prevented the crust from developing?

• October 12, 2014 at 11:58 am

Hi Bea. I just saw your name onthe pinch of yum site. Your name is very familiar from my early days growing up in Duluth. My parents Ed and Tibby Siggelkow were big fans. I am going to try The pulls bread.
    Blessings to you.
    Midge

• November 30, 2014 at 4:35 am

I first saw you on Martha Stewart, soon after I moved to MN. I have since become a huge fan…and I LOVE cloudberries thanks to you. Recently saw one of your books and wondered if you do signings in the twin cities which led me here. Is there any way I can know?

• August 7, 2015 at 7:25 am

Hello Beatrice, I have owned your Great Scandinavian Baking book for a number of years now and love it. I live in the UK, but having lived in Norway for a year in my youth I have a love of all things Scandinavian – especially baking! I was wondering whether you had any plans to produce a colour photo copy of the book at some time? If so I would love to buy it! 🙂

• August 19, 2015 at 12:14 am

Hi Ms. Ojakangas.

I am a longtime fan; I have clipped and saved articles written by you (Woman’s Day, I think) which I am sure date back to the 70’s!

I have been on a nearly lifelong search for a recipe for Kartoffler (potato) pastries which were made by a bakery on Stroget in Copenhagen. They also exist in Sweden and are called Potatisbakelser. They have a sponge cake base sprinkled with rum, a cream filling, and they are wrapped in marzipan and dusted with cocoa powder. (The end result is better than the sum of the ingredients.)

Do you have the recipe? I have heard from a Swedish pastry chef who “knew about” them, and saw a recipe once in a danish cookbook (but I wasn’t where I could copy the recipe!) If you can help, I would be very appreciative.

Thank you!

Lisa

• November 6, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Hi–Thank you for sharing your recipes. I sent my best friend & my daughter the URL for your site, asking them to read your article regarding “COBBLERS, CLAFOUTI, CRISPS AND CRUMBLES.” I loved it, as these drove me a touch crazy, as a young cook. Please don’t post this to your site. I mean it solely for you.–cjc

• January 31, 2016 at 7:07 pm

I just saw you on PBS. I’m not the best at these chum porter either, but think I can order one of your cookbooks. I really liked your show. I am 76 yrs. old and although you aren’t that old, I could connect with your baking. I always wanted to be this gramma with an apron, grey hair, and glasses on the end of my nose teaching my granddaughters how to bake. Could never get the grey hair though. Am going to order a couple of your books. Was fun watching you!

• September 12, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Hello, and sorry to be off topic, but I could not find a way to leave a comment otherwise.

Saturday evening I baked the Norwegian Coffee Buns from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book, and the dough was very difficult for me to handle. I’ve discussed it at the following site, which is a group of bakers who got together when King Arthur closed its Baking Circle last May.

We try to help each other with recipes, but we have lost some of our more experienced people for various reasons. I decided to see if I could contact you and get some advice.

I do enjoy your cookbooks–I have at least four of them, maybe more, and I do actually bake some of the great recipes.

Marliss

• January 24, 2017 at 3:02 am

I was so excited to receive your book Cooking with Convection for Christmas. It was just in time for the arrival of my new convection stove in January. However, I am unable to read your book.

I am red/brown colourblind and so much of your book is printed in red. It is difficult/impossible for me to read the ingredients lists, the introductory words at the beginning of each section and even the page numbers.

My husband got me your book from Amazon and didn’t have a chance to see that I wouldn’t be able to read it.

I am very disappointed.

Linda Skinner
    Toronto, Canda

• October 4, 2018 at 1:40 pm

I’m a librarian in St. Michael, Minnesota, a NW suburb of Minneapolis. Do you do author visits? If so, what is your fee? (I’m also Scandinavian, and a long-time fan!)

Comments are closed.